During the year, I bought a sparkling new moto, a 2019 Suzuki Vstrom 1000, which is a major step-up from the bullet-proof 2008 Suzuki GS 500 that I had been rinding too many places that it wasn’t meant to go. I have been itching to take it on an adventure ride since I bought it and I thought that riding 1600 kms to go to a party for NYE seems like a good start. It’s a long way for a party, but half the fun is getting there through the windy B and C roads in the south-east of Australia. It will be hotter than hell on the road (and maybe a few bush fires), but there are some beautiful towns along the way where the beer is bottomless and that narratives boundless.
I have a bit of time on my hands and I will be in the slow lane staying at grand county pubs along the way, many with long bars and huge balconies adjoined by tiny rooms. These pubs are such a special part of Australian rural life; the centre of their communities. Many have seen better days and their accommodation is under-utilised, but there are a bunch of ways to book them now (even Air BB), and they are much better than the soulless modern alternatives.
Here is my itinerary. I will blog along the way. If anyone has any tips or suggestions, I would love to hear from you. Have a great Xmas and NYE
- 27 December, Narrandera, Victoria, Star Hotel
- 28 December, Coonabarabran, NSW, Imperial Hotel
- 29 December, Bingara, NSW, Imperial Hotel
- 30 December, Tropical Fruits Party, Lismore, NSW
- 31 December, Tropical Fruits, Party, Lismore, NSW
- 1 January, Tropical Fruits, Party, Lismore, NSW
- 2 January, Tropical Fruits, Party, Lismore, NSW
- 3 January, Tropical Fruits, Party, Lismore, NSW
- 4 January, Dubbo, Castlereagh Hotel, NSW
- 5 January, Beechworth, Tanswell Commercial Hotel, Victoria
- 6 January, Walhalla, Victoria (camping, no pubs damn!)
- 7 January, arrive home yeah!